Monday, May 11, 2009

Star Trek Rocks


I'm so embarrassed that it's been so long since I posted. I've been extremely busy catching up after my month in Florida, my two fun-filled weeks of viral infections, gratis of pre-school, and one thing or another. And this, I'm also ashamed to say, will not be a long post. But I did want to express one movie-related thing here today, which is that the new Star Trek movie is great! I grew up on Star Trek, thanks to my cool older brother, Ted, who wasn't about to let me pick what went on the one T.V. in the house. So I watched, and loved it, and later went to Star Trek conventions and made Star Trek models with my brother, and played Star Trek (needless to say I never got to be Kirk) and...well, I was a big fan. It's not easy to win over die hard fans with re-makes. But J.J. Abrams, the director of this one, did a wonderful job--new enough, but connected enough to the old one. A nod to the backstory and mannerisms of some of the original characters, without making them caricatures. I immediately got on the ride--and stayed on it. I can't wait for the next one. Okay, that's my film thought for the day--hopefully more soon. Meanwhile, check it out, friends--and live long and prosper.

1 comment:

mrjumbo said...

Only about 300 years after you originally posted this, I read your review, mostly because I just read the PSA about Mr. Runpee and kept working my way down. Yes to all of the above re Star Trek. (When I'm at Mom's house, the near-life-size Kirk and Spock posters are still on the back of my old bedroom door.)

The setup is great for a filmmaker, but also very Star Trekian: We're going to take the same characters from when they were younger and put them in an alternate universe, one that's influenced by the universe we have already watched since the 1960s, and run with it. Some stuff will be the same (Kirk likes green women), and some will change (Maori tattoos for Romulans, Sarek and Amanda might not get the same storyline), and to find out which is which, you'll just have to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Plus: Spock and Uhura: Who woulda thunk?!

Great stuff. Glad you liked it too.